Test

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Melting in the Midwest...

It's almost too hot to play with my clay!

Hello there! It has been incredibly hot here in the Midwest. The temperatures have been over 100 degrees Fahrenheit for a week or two but we have rain now and the temperature has dropped a bit. What a relief!

I have been working on a couple of custom orders and thought I would share them with you. The first was an order for 15 pendants and the second is 7 necklaces for bridesmaids. They have been keeping me busy! 

Here are photos of the finished pendants. I made a total of 20 and let her choose.
The 'Natural' group

The 'Bright' group

The 'Bold' group

The bride wanted necklaces similar to this 'bubble' necklace but asked that they be made in peacock inspired colors. 
I was so happy to be able to get a swatch of the fabric that her bridesmaids will be wearing as it is difficult to match a color without seeing it 'in person' and this is what I came up with for her. 

She loves it so I am very happy!

A few exciting things are happening right now. The first is that I am now a part of a local artist co-op and they have a shop called Fusion in Chesterfield Mall here in Missouri. There are over 30 local artists' work in the store! The shop is filled with handmade items such as pottery, sculpture, paintings, clothing, soaps and bath products, hand blown glass, lampwork glass, photography, up-cycled and re-purposed items, jewelry and....of course....polymer clay! Here is a photo of the front of our store.

It's so bright and cheery!

The second bit of news is very exciting! I will be featured in an upcoming issue of The Polymer Arts magazine! If you have never heard of it, it is a wonderful magazine devoted to polymer clay artists and I am so thrilled to be featured! I'll let you know when the issue comes out. It is available in print and there is also an online version. If you love polymer clay I think you will find this magazine a wealth of information with lots of 'eye candy' for inspiration. 

Here are a couple of other projects I have worked on recently. Have a happy summer! 

BIG fish!
Custom Journal
Botany Book Box

Timeless Book Box (a gift for my Dad)

Leafy Vase :)

10 comments:

MaryL said...

Wow!!! Absolutely, over the top, fantastic!! It's a good thing she only had to leave out 5 of the pendants... just delicious!! Everything looks so wonderful... but that's because your style is so beautiful, earthy and captivating :)
So glad to hear you are having a bit of relief from that terrible heat! I think most of the country has been thinking of all the areas suffering this summer...

musingsfromtheden said...

Hello Chris, it's lovely to have another blog from you :). Congratulations on the new developments it all sounds very exciting!

I haven't played with my clay for ages. I think I might be in the mood for it again soon though :).

The big fish is beautiful! Does the clay you used come in those colours or did you add powders to it?

Hope you're well, Gaina ;)

Chris Kapono said...

Hi Gaina,
Thank you very much! The fish is actually made with black clay that I 'painted' with powdered pigments. Someone once told me that using them on dark clay really makes the colors 'pop' and boy they were right!
Now blow the dust off that clay and start playing! :)
Chris

Chris Kapono said...

Thanks so much Mary! Yes, today it was only 89 degrees. What a relief *wipes brow* Now we just need a bit more rain. :) Hope all is well with you!

Gaina said...

Yes Ma'am! I am at that stage where 'something' is tickling my brain and may form the first scraps of an idea soon :).

Ginger said...

Awesome, you're in Missouri too! I thought polymer was dead here, LOL. You're not kidding about being too hot to clay. It was a really impressive summer! Well, enjoy the cooler weather now.

Mikaela said...

love your creations!! YOU have been my biggest inspiration to start creating in polymerclay. THANKS

diLuna said...

I've seen your work on Flickr for a while, and this is fabulous. I get a lot of inspiration from your creation.

Jane Clouse said...

Your use of color is incredible. I'm in Kansas and having difficulties finding poly clay. Will love following your work.

Jane Clouse said...

Your use of color is incredible. Fabulous, there are not enough adjectives. I will enjoy following your work.