Test

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Linkedin and eBay

Have you ever heard of Linkedin?

It's the largest professional network on the internet and I found a wonderful group there for Etsy sellers here
I have learned so much from this group already. If you are an Etsy seller you should join! 
Before I begin my belly achin' here are three  journals I recently finished. 



Warning...the rest of this blog is pure crabbiness lol! Okay, maybe a few pretty pictures at the end. :)

My latest rant about eBay

Okay, so I decide to list a couple of ACEO on eBay to see if I get any bidders. I list them for three days and both do sell...but not for much. I don't know about you but I have a real hard time selling art on eBay. Anyhoo, that is not what I was upset about. 
Once the auctions were over and the buyers paid, I was getting ready to pack them up for shipping when I got an email from eBay saying that they were going to hold my funds until the buyers received my items and left positive feedback...or something like that. 
What??! 
It's a darn good thing it wasn't much money and I wasn't counting on it for anything. I have a 100% feedback on eBay (as a buyer and as a seller) but I don't sell there very often so I am now considered 'risky'. 
That really steams my broccoli. 
They will hold my money for 21 days unless I use eBay or PayPal's online shipping-which I tried to do but the label was larger than the package.  I had to cancel the postage and now that money is also being held until the postal service agrees to refund my money.....good grief. I also could have entered the tracking information on eBay so they could verify receipt by the buyer but I sent them first class mail for free so there was no tracking. 
Why does eBay get into your business? Aren't you innocent until proven guilty? (i.e. a trustworthy seller until you prove to be otherwise). Isn't that what the feedback is for...to warn potential buyers of questionable or unethical sellers?
Why do they have a say in how much you can charge to ship something? I was selling one of my decorated journals on eBay, it cost more to ship than they would allow me to charge! Aaargh!...and don't get me started on how they suggest you add the shipping to the cost of your item and sell it with 'Free Shipping'...grrrr!
I know that there are unethical sellers out there that sell an item extremely cheap and charge a ridiculous amount to ship it but, is this really the way to handle it? Shouldn't buyers read the fine print and decide, before they buy, if they really want to pay that much for shipping? If they find it was grossly over charged, they can indicate this when leaving feedback to warn other potential buyers....and really, let's be honest...they can't blame anyone but themselves for not paying attention to the shipping charges.
What's next? Will eBay have to inspect your item before you can sell it? Will they then write up your listing for you? Perhaps they will also pack it up for you because there have been too many instances of damaged items.
Okay, I'll get off my soapbox...but am I right?
I keep trying other selling venues and I keep coming back to dear old Etsy. I hear many complaints about them but I have had no bad experiences (save for a serious lack of sales in the past month or so and that is not Etsy's fault)

Okay...deep breaths....and relax...ahhh...here are two other goodies that I made recently. Thank you for listening!!

12 comments:

Von said...

Fabulous creations !:)
You rant all you like

Ling said...

aww thats terrible! the fact that you went through all that effort of working on something, posting it online, getting a sale and then having them HOLD the money in the end - it sounds like such a hassle!

Denice's Unicorner said...

i have a 100% rating and also got that deal from Ebay. when i called and asked why the answer i got was basically "because..."

Feh!

Btw, love your stuff. :-)

Chris Kapono said...

Thank you Denice! :)

Deb Ross said...

Chris, I love your work on Flickr and just found out you have a blog, so I'll be following you here, also.

Chris Kapono said...

Thanks Deb! I'll try to be a bit more active on my blog. ;)

Ginger said...

Eh. I think ebay does that to encourage you to use their shipping services. And so they can hold onto your money longer. It's all a game where they want you to do things the best way for them to make money. But then I guess don't we all. Just found your stuff today...love your work! Nice to meet you!

Chris Kapono said...

Thank you so much Ginger! Yes, I have all but given up on ebay. :)

busymama021 said...

You are my absolutely fav artist....I have pinned your work on my Pinterest -I do hope it's ok! I am also following your blog :)
Your work is AMAZING!

busymama021 said...

You are my absolutely fav artist....I have pinned your work on my Pinterest -I do hope it's ok! I am also following your blog :)
Your work is AMAZING!

Jeanne Rhea said...

You are right! My husband will no longer sell on eBay for the same reasons. I occasionally sell something, but after selling on eBay since 1998, we still get funds held because we stopped selling continuously. We stopped selling full time because buyers had the power and we had so little. I even had someone complain about a flaw in a book when I had close-up photos and described it in writing---and said, "Please do not bid on this book if this flaw matters to you. This book is over 100 years old and has been used and loved."

Love your inchies on Polymer Clay Daily today!

CalliopeCreations said...

Love your work. Love your site. I'm a FAN!

Haven't used eBay for years. Guess I'll cross them off the list forever, now.

Grim! Experiences like that are painfully eye-opening.