Test

Monday, May 30, 2011

Diary of a Mad (Scientist) Artist

I've been experimenting!
Muwahahaha  LOL! 
I haven't been working much with clay lately.  I did finish a couple of things that I will share with you here. One is a book that I lovingly call Cosmic Candy. 'Cosmic' because it looks rather alien and the background looks rather like deep space....with swirls ha ha! Everything I make seems to have swirls...dunno why. It's just how I roll....err..swirl. :) 'Candy' because behind each glass gem is a foil candy wrapper! XD






I couldn't decide whether to paint the clay and I asked the advice of my deviantART friends and we all agreed that I should leave it unpainted or paint it very little. One person said it would look awesome on a red or blue book and that gave me an idea. I decided to paint a book and put the unpainted clay plaque in the center. What I painted it with is where the mad scientist comes in LOL! Before I tell you let me show you a couple of other things that I painted with the same concoction.










All of these books and the business card holders are painted with a mixture of PearlEx powdered pigments (mica powder), alcohol ink and....Future acrylic floor finish! LOL Someone asked me how on the earth did I come up with that mixture and all I can say is that it was all on my art table within my reach. :) Good thing there wasn't anything flammable or I would have been in trouble! (wait...is alcohol ink flammable??) Anyhoo, it has a beautiful luster from the powdered pigments and it dries quickly and is already sealed! I really had fun playing with it and plan to paint more soon. 
Oh, I wanted to let you all know that the business card holders came from Moo.com
They are a wonderful source for custom business cards (you can see mine peeking out of the tops of the holders above) but they also make greeting cards, stickers and more. They are super fast, very friendly and fun. :)
Well, that's all for now!
Talk to you soon


10 comments:

Rebekah said...

Glad to see you blogging again Chris! What an interesting concoction! It sure turned out beautiful... I just love your books!

Caseymini said...

Chris, the painting is amazing! Beautiful. Genius! I may have to try it on some of my miniatures. If I do, I will give you full credit.

Chris Kapono said...

Thank you very much ladies!

Mari said...

Stunning! Love how that mixture works.... Since I have all the ingredients, I might have to see if I can come up with my own mix. NOT that I can paint as beautifully as you - but your colors are GORGEOUS!

Chris Kapono said...

Thank you! You definitely should try it!

inge said...

Hello Chris,

I love your claypiece on the blue book : it would suit me perfect ! I'm into blue and swirls and it looks a bit like a zentangle with all those little dots and swirls ! Beautiful piece !

The mixture you colored the books and other stuff with is giving a great result ! I think it even looks better in real ! Do you have certain measurements or do you just mix up and see what it gives ?
I certainly would like to give this a try on ... don't know what.. anything ! :)

I'm a MOO lover too !! I have the my moocards, my moodisplay and my moohangers !

greetings from belgium
Inge

Chris Kapono said...

Hello Inge! Thank you, I'm glad you like them. :) I don't measure at all...I was just throwing things together to see what would happen LOL!
You should definitely give it a try!

Lindart said...

I love that blue journal cover - beautiful!! All of your projects turned out absolutely awesome! Playing is such fun!

Chris Kapono said...

Thank you, I'm glad you like them!

nasir said...

Amazing!Nice color scheme used.
membership cards
Hotel Key Card