Test

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Burning the candle at both ends and lovin' it!







I can't believe it is already winter! It seems like fall was just yesterday and now Christmas is just over two weeks away. Am I ready people ask....of course not! I always vow to begin my shopping in the summer and summer quickly turns to fall and then before you know it it is nearly here again. Sigh* Live isn't easy for a chronic procrastinator!

I love this time of year (except the part about scraping the windshield lol) Parties and family gatherings, the house all decked out in lights and the Christmas classics on the radio...and my art table stuffed with custom orders in various stages of completion! Ahh, I am so busy with custom requests! All of a sudden people from all over the world began to email me with their requests. I was so surprised and pleased. Then I became worried that I would not be able to get them all done in time. Luckily I completed several this weekend and I have a few more in the final stages.

I love these special requests, they often come up with ideas that I never would have thought of or tried. They can be a real challenge but I think it helps me to think of new ideas and try new things. One project I'll begin this week is a steampunk box for a compass that someone is going to give for Christmas. They would like gears and that sort of thing included in the design. I love steampunk, it's so fun. :) I decided to take apart some old watches I was given and use the parts inside. Much to my dismay they were mostly plastic. The really curious thing was that no matter what shape the watch was, the inner workings all looked exactly the same. There must be some watch maker in China that everyone buys their inexpensive watch parts from LOL.

I decided to go to a local antique mall and see what I could find there and oh my gosh, it is a haven for unusual one of a kind things! (but sadly no watch parts). I am so excited with my finds and I can't wait to incorporate some of them into new designs. I also bought jasper, agate, lapis lazuli and tiger's eye cabochons from China. They are so beautiful, I can't wait to use them. I really need to learn to wire wrap. I'd also like to learn to use silver clay but I can't afford the special kiln right now but.....someday.....*gazes wistfully to the heavens*

Some very exciting news...I was contacted by "That Creative Place" and I may begin teaching an online class early next year! I am excited and nervous and I am thinking of projects that people may like to learn how to do. How cool is that! I was also contacted by a woman in Spain that would like to incorporate some of my designs into her metal work. She is fabulous! Check out her work at www.kabiliam.com

Well, that's all for now. Now I have to get to bed. Sweet Dreams!

4 comments:

luthien said...

wow!! first of all!! your new creations are gorgeous!!! love the christmas ornaments!!

second, congrats to your many orders!! i'm not surprised cos your work is so beautiful and creative. so you :))

"There must be some watch maker in China that everyone buys their inexpensive watch parts from LOL."
oh man!! you are so right! they dominate everything now !!

and wow!! the online class prospect is awesome :)) and getting recognition from all over the globe is an artist's dream come true :))

what a fantastic year it has been for you ... may it carry on for many many more years :))
HUGS!!

batumarti said...

your creation is great! i love christmas ball and tha eye...

Chris Kapono said...

Thank you very much!

sandyxxx said...

This was by far one of mthe most thought provoking merry go rounds we've had. Im still not convinced I am all done thingking it through.
I think the amount of detail and the stricking color combinations you use are your trademark. Unique style that sets you apart.
---------------------
925 sterling silver